Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Great War heavy metal...german A7V

Howdy folks,

I've begun working on my Great War German force in 15mm...enter the Great War heavy and loud and slow and painful metal of the day.  I bought the Battlefront box set when it came out and set about prepping the minis almost immediately.  Since that time, at least a few months now, I've been slowly researching, finishing other project areas, etc and have now put my toe in the water.

I elected to start with the German Army...no reason...and enjoyed putting the A7V models together.  They didn't pose any big hassles and went together quite nicely.  As for painting them, I looked up the online resources from Battlefront, standard google search of images, and brought out my Osprey 'Duel' book between the Mark IV and the A7V to see what the colour plates in the book had.

In the end I think I went with a mix of a couple of select images and the Battlefront resources.  I also tried taking pictures with two different cameras and lighting conditions.  The first set were very very yellow but show the models well...I think...the last 3 pics I think do a good job of picking out the details of the model.

Anywho...Enjoy the pics.


This set was taken fresh from the pallet in the post decals phase...of all the decals I've tried to put on...I'm really quite horrible at it, these Great War decals are really bang-on...I didn't have any of my usual f@#k ups and they didn't have to soak too long to get them off the paper...AND...the solvoset did not thin them out too much that they couldn't handle my ungainly fingers...
 
One day later...different camera...different lighting...
 




 

 

12 comments:

  1. They look really good. Glad to hear the decals were easy, I seem to have a bad batch of shield decals for my Saracens and they are causing me no end of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duncan...I can certainly feel some of your pain. I had some pretty rough goes with the decal sheets from the Loach sets...for the life of me couldn't get 'United States Army' to go on smoothly...

      Delete
  2. I like them! They look really solid, heavy, and dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks...I was hoping the weathering would show through...gotta have them looking dirty.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  3. They came out very nice, certainly an inspiring paint job. Would you mind sharing a run down of the paints you have used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Braxen. If I recall correctly, all paints vallejo, I used desert yellow with iraqi sand to lighten the yellow tones, grey green, and burnt umber with brown beige. I hard edged the camo with black...for the weathering, I dry brushed burnt umber, flat earth, beige brown, and tan earth in that order...I then used devlan mud or army painter strong tone to highlight the edge of the the weathering.

      Delete
  4. Nice blog as well for many WW1 related material (going into the period in 28mm!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much...good luck with the period, I have declined my WW1 painting the past months, but I have many more figures and models on the workbench.

      Cheers.

      Delete