Saturday 16 April 2016

A Library...in the Northern City?!?

Howdy folks,

Just a quick post this weekend...I'm in the middle of making some terrain tiles for a Frostgrave tournie for this years Cangames...we're playing on Friday aft...come check us out if you're in Ottawa.  My main goal for this project was to get back into terrain...build on an extremely small budget...use as much materials as possible that I have laying around the house/workbench.

I am working towards a standard 3' x 3' table, with each tile being 1' x 1'...I currently have 8 as I'm OCD'ing about the last one...I used some MDF I had laying around to act as the base...took a bunch of 1/2" packing Styrofoam from the garage to act as the playing surface...the paints are all Michaels crafting paints that have been sitting in the basement for at least 5-10 years...and they are still in great shape...and they only cost me 99 cents a bottle...Canadian!! That's like 5 cents a bottle American...or something much less than 99 cents...

I'm using the library scenario from the Frostgrave MRB to guide me...or at least inspire my version of a frozen Great Library...

Anyhow, here are some initial shots of the tiles...I should be done them by tomorrow afternoon...only 1-2 more layers to put on them...and then I'll work on the scatter terrain, book shelves, finishing pieces, etc...

Take care.

Every entrance way needs statues to guard it...my wife found 2 of these at a local discount store...they were wooden bookends...ours for $2...
A little black basecoat...then some tan...add some metallic gold and a very dry brush of Vallejo Brass...et voila... 

Mounted, sanded, carved up, with blister pack cardboard 'stonetile'...the tiles were ready for painting...black basecoat...dark grey

Close up shot... 

Next, layer of 'grey'...comparison shot with 'dark grey'

Third layer...'dolphin grey'...5 of 8 complete...in their rough layout as well...

Close up... 

Comparison shot with dolphin grey on bottom, grey on top...

Much more to follow...Cheers.






2 comments:

Mike_A said...

That looks really good! Very frostgraveish.

Stan M. said...

Thanks Mike...now I just need to get to all the scatter terrain, lol...