Saturday 9 April 2016

4CMBG Update - with Corps Support attachment...

Evening folks,

I'm pretty pumped...I recently finished the Canadian M577 Command Post track that I had been working on with the DIY 'pimp my combat ride' look that I was using as inspiration.  I really like how it turned out.  The feedback I got on my previous command track was awesome, so I kept with the same colours and paint scheme...thank you folks/commentators.

Also, I've been into some light to medium reading on the Cold War and researching 4 CMBG and their time in Germany, with primary focus on the 1980's...and thanks to Sean Maloney, Canadian veteran and author, I was able to identify and date my inspiration photo.

According to his book "War Without Batles: Canada's NATO Brigade", this M577 specimen, is from a NATO exercise circa 1975, track operated by the 3rd Mechanized Commando of 4 CMBG.  3rd Mech Cdo had a very short if not interesting history...only 7 years in existence, as part of the Canadian Airborne Regiment nonetheless...found this article to be quite interesting: 3rd Mechanized Commando.  At the end of their time, they were quite simply 're-badged' as 3rd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment.
 
Anyway, with the photo above to guide me, some awesome feedback, and the excellent graphics and research of Armoured Acorn, here is my second M577 for my Crazy Canucks...
Designated 2A, this track could conceivably serve as a formation command vehicle for TY, Company CP for Bravo or November companies... if you look at the decals above, you'll note the regimental symbol for mech inf...
DIY tool box and platform in miniature life...from real life...separate tarp/tenting around the edge as well...
 
Now, while in Germany, 4 CMBG served a variety of roles and stood as a fairly flexible entity for more than one command element...during the 1980s, 4CMBG was on the hook to deploy with either the German II Corps or the VII US Corps...as such, I thought I'd paint up a couple of M901 ITV's to deploy as a combat attachment/Corps support for my 4CMBG formation... 
 As part of the Team Yankee release, Battlefront did their normal work and included a painting guide...as well as a bunch of painting guides, templates, etc since then...I figured since most folks would be copying the BF take on MERDC, I would google my way into something a little different.
 
During my google search, I found a pic of this 901 unit with MERDC-ish paint schemes...they are definitely close enough for me, and lets my ITVs stand out a little.
 
Take care folks.

6 comments:

Phil said...

Very nice job!

Sparker said...

Good work mate!

Paul O'G said...

Very nice work - they all look fantastic but those ITVs in particular are cracking!

Stan M. said...

Thanks Phil

Stan M. said...

Thank you Sparker

Stan M. said...

Thanks Paul...