Monday 20 March 2017

Rogue Stars - Merc recruiting

Hello folks,

In my last post I shared with you a bit of a painting education I received thanks to the awesome tutorials and work from Sorastro's Painting.  I have been very impressed with his approach to painting, his musical talents, and really just enjoying soaking up what I can from his videos.  Like I mentioned before, I'm not sure what it is this time that is making the steps and concepts sink in...but it is, so I'm pretty pumped.

So, with this in mind, I thought I'd share the first figure I painted up after watching his videos and adapting some of his process into mine.  I am still filling out my Rogue Stars Mercenary crew and looking through my wall of painting shame and doom, I thought I'd try a figure from a Cangames purchase from a few years back.

A few or more Cangames ago, I came upon some sci-fi 28mm figs that were nicely priced and I thought they would be fun to try in the future...they are an older figure...the packaging says 1991 and while the company is still around, it looks like they no longer stock the figure.  I selected a figure from Alternative Armies and their Levy troops...I think this one is from the Clearance Squad.

Anyway, I wanted a figure that could look the part of rough and tough Merc, work with the hodgepodge group I was assembling...and that I could also try my new process out on.  Keeping with the colour scheme I established for the Baron's Misfits, I went with a strong red start...as well, I really liked the colour choice for sci-fi armour in large part to the gaming time I spent on Star Wars Galaxies and the Mandalorian Armour suit...my Bounty Hunter wore his in red...

As well, I really wanted to continue with the subtle blue tones to the jumpsuit of the figure, much in the same vein as I did with my sniperbot...I started the base colour for the jumpsuit as a VJ Green Grey and just lightened it up for a few layers and then added a drop or two of medium blue with some stone grey and just kept the layers coming...
 
I'm not really sure what function the backpack serves for this figure...it has a series of fans on it with a 'gas' tank looking container at the top with hosing attached to the shoulder pauldrons and front of the helmet...regardless, the figure was a lot of fun to paint
Normally I've relied a lot on a few layers of dry brushing with a final layer of VJ buff and a strong or dark tone wash to bring out the details...this time however, I didn't use any dry brushing...and I used a very light wash to finish...and then only in specific places... 
I enjoyed the new process very much...I really like how the colours popped on this figure...very happy indeed...and further keeping with my theme...I copied the paint scheme for Backpack Bob that I had on the shoulder of SniperBot. 
 
Cheers.
 

3 comments:

CPBelt said...

Very nice work! I bet it looks even better in person.

BTW these figures were moved over to their ionage.com website and are still for sale. IIRC Bob Olley sculpted this line. I love them.

Stan M. said...

Thank you CP...glad to hear they are still for sale, my google-fu couldn't turn up anything last night, thanks!

Stan M. said...

I forgot to say...not only are there some great looks to the figure, but it took the paint and the extra layers really well...I think I used at least 5 layers on the jumpsuit alone.

Cheers.