Monday 8 January 2018

Cold War Slugfest - Team Yankee Battle Report

Hello folks,

Just before Christmas I had the chance to get together with Mike and Duncan and have a go at some Team Yankee.  Duncan and I were on the hook for about 40 points each of Warsaw Pact troops, and Mike was on the hook for 80-ish points of US army. 

As Stripes had just been released, Mike elected to go with some hummer mounted troops to fill out the back end of his US armoured list.  I elected to try something a little different and push an infantry formation with recce, AAA, arty, and a small tank company in support.  Duncan elected for some East German heavy metal.

I'll let the pics do the talking on this one...

view of battlespace from my left flank...sweeping over the WP FEBA...my troops are in the foreground, Duncan is deployed on the right flank...
Big picture view of the battlespace...Mike is on long end on the left...Duncan and I are on the right...we're deployed around a little ville, Mike has some hills to contend and forest to contend with.
One platoon of M1's...an air defense platoon of Vulcan armed M113's...behind them you can see Mike's hummers...he brought these guys in for their stinger manpads...neither Duncan or I brought in any air support.

I spearheaded with my BRDM-2's...they quickly took some hurt from Mike's 113's...his M1's crested their hill and took up firing positions on my T72's...I didn't have a large company, so any hits definitely hurt...
I'm pushing forward, BMP-2's are moving a little behind the heavy metal...I'm trying to set them up in firing position so they can put some missiles on the M1's and some 30mm on the 113's.
anti-tank missile hit...one M1 down...but he is doing a better job than I am in getting shots downrange...
looking towards my lines...burning BRDMs and T72's...
the Vulcan 113's move forward and get in range of my first MR company...BMP's taking hits and infantry are bailing out...most of my grunts pass their saves and take up position in the ville.
Duncan was making slow and steady progress on the right flank...his T55 horde was making good rolls and Mike was having a hard time getting hits on them.
I haven't been able to do much to his M1's...I think Duncan was distracting all the tanks at this point...but I did start exacting some revenge on those damn Vulcans...my BMPs kept a pretty steady rate of fire on the VADS platoon and started making headway.
Duncan maneuvers one of his tank companies towards the forest while maintaining a steady firebase with the other...Mike is redeploying his M1's trying to maximize cover and firepower...
I can't remember which vehicle did it...either BMP or ZSU fire...but Mike loses one of his cobras...
The hummers come forward to push the objective...Duncans tanks are taking the hillcrest...
I'm pushing forward with my BMP's and laying down some arty with my Carnations...
Mike goes kamikaze with his last cobra to try to take out Duncan's infantry that are defending one of our objectives...it didn't work out...
Mike has to push the M1's on my flank over towards the objective...they are now taking main gun fire from Duncan and missile fire from my BMPs...
Duncan re-establishes his line facing towards my left...my BMPs destroy the VADS platoon and combined with my artillery, they push back the hummers...
we collectively push both objectives on our respective sides of the river...
It didn't go Mike's way, however this was definitely one of the most contented games I've played of TY yet...having grunts in the mix changed the flavour for me...and made me hope that I'll see more infantry forces in the future...

No comments: