Wednesday 4 June 2014

CanGames Ottawa 2014 - Force on Force (FoF)

Hey hey,

As I've been saying throughout my recent series of posts...I had a great time at this years CanGames...I made it for 2 out of the 3 gaming days and played in 3 awesome games.  The final game that I took part in was a Force on Force scenario set during the 2003 US invasion into Iraq called Bridge at Al-Muff, this is actually a scene from 'Generation Kill'.

First of all, the game table was put together really well...the bulk of the terrain was custom built by the GM and his assistant...and just like my earlier FoW game the overall aesthetic of the table really added to the enjoyment of the game.

Second, I have to be honest and admit that my memory has all but left the building and I now have a flurry of pictures taken throughout the game but I can't remember the exact order...so I will do my best in recapping the events...oh and I have to add, the GM, the 2ic, and my opponent were all folk that I had gamed with on many occasions before (in fact...I think all of us had gamed this scenario once or twice in the last couple of years).

I must also point out that while FoW got me into the gaming hobby, Force on Force has certainly become one of my favorites (if not my most favorite) ruleset...at one time I had misgivings about gaming in the modern era, however knowing how the rules were developed, getting to understand the folks that developed the rules, as well as knowing that many vets had helped in the development and playtest went a long way to easing my own personal demons...<insert shameless plug for Ambush Alley Games>...one thing about FoF, I find the need to be absolutely 150% vigilant with all rules and minutia is not a must...try and apply the basic concepts consistently and pile on the extras as your comfort level and memory can handle...this I can accomplish with ease as I know I forget some of the rules, but the game moves on and is still an enjoyment whether I win or lose.

Highlights and photo ops:

While this made the third time for me playing this particular scenario, I can honestly say that I had already proven that this scenario could be played and lost as either the US player or Insurgent player as I had assumed both roles before with disastrous effect.

The scenario is this...you, the US player (most often USMC) must get your vehicles across the bridge at the hamlet/ville/town of Al-Muff.  The snag is that it is at night (not to worry, with night gog's you're good to go), and there is a sea container blocking the bridge.  You, the insurgent must delay and whittle down the US forces as they try to cross the bridge and then pick their way through town to egress at either of two exit points.  For the insurgent, the night is much harder to fight in as it makes enemy forces hard to see, makes reactions more difficult, and generally you can only target teams that fire before you.
The long road into Al-Muff, the bridge in the distance and a busy, cramped town to try to navigate through...good luck Marine...oh yeah, the big green truck is a US Army logistics vehicle that you must ensure gets through...


the road is lined with hotspots and insurgents waiting for Marines to engage with ease so that they can strike...in this case, the Hummer at the bottom takes fire from a compound just offroad and has an unresolved hit...

another perspective...

Hummer clears the sea-can with successful Troop Quality, puts some hurt on massing insurgents...

...the roadtrip is going well for the Marines so far...but in the ville, Iraqi men are grabbing whatever they can and laying in wait...

suddenly the sound of tracks can be heard...grainy UAV video shows some vehicle activity on the other side of the river...BMPs and a T55...the Iraqi army arrives on the scene...

Insurgents start to clog the road in...vehicle immobilized and a fireteam hits the dirt...the US player brings the lead Hummer back out of sight of the Iraqi army and it conveniently gets stuck behind the container...

...the insurgents disable another Hummer (orange gear marker) and the Marines begin to bunch up...momentum stealing BMPs and T55 adopt hull down positions in the ville...UAV on the prowl...

...massing insurgents around hotspot 5...rounds coming in from the Hummers wreaking havoc...
 

BMP in hull down causing concerns for the Marines...
 
Great shot of US firepower...UAV, Hummers, and the leading edge of Marine AAV...the UAV can't unleash its ordinance due to Fog of War card effects...

...more firepower as 2 x M1A1s join the fight...or the rolling 'end of game' line as my opponent called it...the GM kept amping up the heat for both sides with random reinforcements...

US player trying to get out of dodge, getting shot up by Iraqi BMP...2 vehicle kills and US casualties

the firepower convoy keeps on chugging...

chews up the insurgents...prepares to spit them out...

result of last turn of the game...the US player did not actually get any forces to the egress points, however the roving end of game line was just a matter of time...by this point the M1s had put some real hurt on hotspot 5, taking the insurgents and the building.  The BMPs were both immobilized and if I remember correctly the T55 was main gun inop and immobilized as well.
 
There were many casualties on both sides, for the US player this hurt the victory conditions, for the Insurgent (me and the GM 2ic) this did not hurt so much.  Regardless, this was an awesome game and a lot of fun having the chance to hang out with some buddies and have a good run.
 
Cheers.

2 comments:

Duncan said...

The T55 suffered from a bunch of damage from a lucky hit from a Mk19 grenade launcher and several unlucky (from the American perspective) rather lame javelin hits. But when the M1 got line of sight the T55 exploded catastrophically (and I think damaged the adjacent building killing several insurgents in there!)

I really need to do up a few damaged/burning buildings for situations like that!!

Stan M. said...

Thanks for the clarification Duncan...I just couldn't remember how the T55 went up. Thanks again for the game.