Friday 22 July 2022

Painting Update - Spectre Miniatures

Howdy folks,

I hope your summer is going well...we're getting a taste of the warm weather this past week and looking into the next, but up until now I can't really complain about the weather. As mentioned a few posts or so ago, I dipped my toe into Spectre Miniatures with a small purchase of a few models and most recently I also subscribed to their Patreon.

Prior to the Patreon decision, I was quite prepared to dislike their figures. On their website, the figures look great, the scenery is pretty nice, and they really compliment each other and makes it look quite attractive. So being cautiously curious, I bought a couple of metal figures and when I got them and took them out of the box (a literal small box for the figure) I was somewhat disappointed. The figures I bought were the GRU Spetsnaz LMG and an Insurgent MG - Bravo. I wasn't too happy with the thinness of the metal for the weapons and the fact the barrel of the LMG was wrapped around pointing back to the figure made me a little grumpy. It also looked like the figure was missing a portion of its bipod.
 
So with that as my first impression I packed them back in their box and left them aside for a few months.

In between that time, I however kept seeing battle reports and various posts of Spectre figures and when they announced their Patreon page, I became interested again. The main thing I was curious about with their Patreon was the offer of STL files. Thanks to my buddy Duncan, he has been kind enough to assist me with printing...and by assist, I mean I don't have a printer, he does...super appreciate his 'assist'.

Well, Duncan printed up a couple of figures for me and I took them home and painted them up...and to be super honest, they were a lot of fun to paint. They were resin printed, took the paint well, and there was a really good dynamic to their pose that I really liked. SO, I then took the metal figs that I had bought out of the penalty box, straightened the barrel and saw that all the detail was there (hooray for stowed bipod).
 
I painted them up last week and DAMN!! I have to retract my initial impression...not only did they paint up well, they look great painted and I'm super happy with how they turned out. I obviously was bitchy the day I took them out of the box, but have to say I am really happy with the figures...
 
So, I hope you enjoy the pics. Cheers.
 
The figs...Insurgent MG, STL CIA dude, GRU Spetsnaz LMG, STL CIA dude. I really like how these figures turned out. 

The Insurgent armed with an MG, pretty straight forward pose, tried out some different paint schemes for the headscarf...I actually don't think I've tried one before...
 
The GRU Spetsnaz with RPK LMG...I am really really happy with how this paintjob came up...I wasn't trying to model a specific pattern or anything, rather I just wanted to get some general similarity in colour with a few random patterns. Oh, and a nod to 1980s Soviet spec ops and airborne troops in Afghanistan, i chose to paint him up with blue tennie's.


 
The pair of metal figs...


And now the psuedo-looking ZZ Top operative...this STL was listed as a CIA operator, so I found a paintscheme in a Force on Force book for the Offensive Actions Detachment (I think?) and chose the black on grey scheme for Agent Lynch (thank you A-Team) on the right. The Dude on the left I tried painting up with just colours that seemed appropriate.

Painted

15mm               30
28mm+             27, +4
 
Bought              25, +2 (Spectre prints)

Progress          +32




 

No comments: