Tuesday 7 March 2017

A Little Inspiration...New Technique...and A New Distraction

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well...it is a very rainy...a little cold...bordering on a freezing day here in the Great White North.  With March upon me, I thought I'd try to get back to posting on a much more regular...not so hibernate-y basis.

Over the summer I had posted a link on TMP to my blog post of pics of a few Hasslefree figures that I had completed, Random Hasslefree Figs, and at one point I had mentioned how I did not like painting figures in white.  I had the Bubba figure, a great looking Elvis inspired figure that I elected to paint in red because of my inability to paint white.

Thanks to the TMP community and the Angry Piper, I was given a link to check out of a YouTuber who had a tutorial that covered how to paint white.  For the most part, YouTube for me is about listening to music...I know...that might sound odd...but to be honest, I don't have a lot of time to stay glued to a monitor watching videos...instead, I look up the music I like and have it play in the background...

However, after almost 4 months, I thought I'd give the Angry Piper's suggestion a try...I'm not sure why, how, or what was different this time...but, something clicked...it could be the high production values, it could be the great background music, it is definitely the great painting...but it made sense to me.

So...if you're in the mood to watch someone paint some excellent miniatures, you need to check out Sorastro's Painting...his videos are all self made, he composes the background music, he does his own editing...if you check him out you'll see he has a few painting themes.  The one that has really hooked me can be traced back to the Piper's suggestion video...Stormtroopers from the Imperial Assault boardgame...

 and so since about a month ago, I've watched easily a dozen or so videos...and...in a weak moment, I went and purchased some figures...I don't even own the core boardgame, lol...my first purchases were the Rebel Alliance Rangers (ala Endor, Return of the Jedi) and Stormtrooper Kayn Somos.  I have also starting adapting my technique to include what I've seen in the videos.

I promise to post some pics on my next post.

Take care.


No comments: