Tuesday 27 April 2021

Painting Contest - a different direction

 Howdy folks,

I hope all is going well...we are in our third wave, so I hope you are all coping well and getting some outdoor exercise time! Earlier this year, my newest LGS, Red Dragon Games, posted on their instagram that they were going to hold a contest for February. In spite of the lock downs and various restrictions, the folks at Red Dragon adapted very well and the contest went off, mostly as planned.

The cost to enter was the purchase of a 3D printed model from their inventory...they have an excellent selection of models for print on demand. For this I elected a very 'simple' looking zombie hand and a warhammery-kriegsy-cyberpunky looking skull. I'm sure its from some fandom and 'verse somewhere, but I have no idea...but it looked really cool.

For the most part, I have steered clear of painting contests...partially due to humility and always knowing there are others who paint better than I...partially due to previous experience (I entered a contest at a convention, unfortunately they put all the figs in a corner away from onlookers...so not really ideal exposure, especially since it was a vote based judgement, and another was online, vote based, and quickly degenerated into spam accounts, flame mails, etc...).

Happy to say though, the end result was a win for my Zombie hand and an honourable mention for the skull, and some great looking figures posted on the store's instagram account. For the painting, it was a lot of fun, definitely a different direction, and painting on a much different scale (pun-intended). And yes, there is another contest on the horizon for June...so yeah, I've got my figures, I just have to get painting.

Enjoy some pics! Take care.











Lead Mountain - 2021

Painted:
large scale        +2 (zombie hand, skull)
 

Bought:           +2

Progress:        even steven

 

 


No comments: