Sunday 15 January 2023

A Piece Worth Fighting Over - Scratch Built Terrain

Howdy folks,

I hope all is well on your respective sides of the internet. We are finally getting some real winter weather, a couple of snowfalls to help bring in the new year…not to mention some -10 to -20C temps…so kinda nice to see.

Anyhow, I thought I’d keep up my momentum and work through some of my to-do pile as well as work towards some of my main objectives for this year. So with a 2 birds 1 stone kind of approach I took to finishing up a scratch build piece that I had started a while back and gotten around to painting. Inspired in part by some model pics, Cold War skullduggery, and some Red Storm Rising type fiction I made a refueling point parading as a ramshackle barn/shed. It should work for pretty much any game setting as scatter terrain or an objective in a scenario…but could work as an objective for TeamYankee or an action objective in a Force on Force game.

The build is with 15mm in mind…it is pretty bare bones, meant to look haphazard, with old sprue pieces for pipe works. I also took the opportunity to test out some Citadel contrast paints so the main structure was painted with a couple of those...sorry, can't remember off the top of the brainpan, but it went up pretty quick.

On the purchasing front, I had the good fortune to stumble on a 50% off sale on Flames of War so I picked up a box of US Armored Recon Patrol and M3 Halftrack Platoon both mid-war. So, an uncharacteristic purchase for me, but a bit of a score…I think I have some recce and transport for Afropia…so win win!

Here are the pics, the model is a Battlefront T72 for scale, enjoy!




 


Painted

15mm            +1
28mm+          0

Bought         +24

Progress      -23

No comments: