Friday 28 July 2023

Marvel Crisis Protocol - Ghost Rider!!

Hey folks,

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods. My posting-fu hasn't been up to the challenge as of late but here we are trying to get some momentum back. I have had the Ghost Rider on the workbench for quite some time...I really liked the pose, all the fire, and just the dynamics of the model. Admittedly I was a little more than intimidated with trying to meet expectations that I had built-up in my head, but also to do justice to the model...not to mention, the chain is such a finicky fragile element of the whole model.

Anywho, I can happily say that I finished it...and I'm really happy with the outcome!! A chunk of the credit has to go to Sorastro and his excellent videos. I may not have followed his process through and through, but it was handy to have it as a reference that I could go back to throughout the paint work.


The fire elements are a huge part of this model, you literally can't look at a single part of the model without seeing fire...except maybe the chain, and then its a great object source lighting component. So yeah, the fire was definitely a challenge and I really wanted to boost those to really make them popout at you when you first see the model; really I wanted them to be the focal point. If you follow Sorastro's video, I stayed pretty close to his technique and then went further with the boost using Vallejo's Ice Yellow and Off-White.

This also pushed the boundaries of my comfort with OSL and how it would reflect over all surfaces, not to mention the subtle differences between the darkness of the bike frame and the black shades of the Rider's leathers. Again, all in all, I'm really happy with how it all turned out.

The only issue that popped up for me was when I glued the back tire to the base. I had ensured that the two surfaces did not have paint on them so the bond could be solid, but I ended up having a chemical reaction that cause crystals when the paint spread out (I obviously used too much) along the sides of the tire. Luckily I was able to prime the crystals and paint them up as fiery bits, so that's why you'll see a lot of fire element on the base itself. It gave me good reason to push the fire elements ever further on the tires, showing the fire wrap around the tires and spill over to the ground.

A good save I think, lol. I hope you enjoy the pics.


Painted 

15mm            73
28mm+          39, +1

Bought         121

Progress      -9

No comments: