Monday 2 February 2015

Vimy Ridge...research, check-in

Howdy folks,

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm looking ahead to a long-term project for 2017 to coincide with the 100th anniversary of Canada's victory at Vimy Ridge.  I've been very interested in collecting a WW1 CEF force as well as do up some terrain that although inspired by Vimy could work for other Great War battlefields.

As a start to my research I've been collecting a variety of Vimy related reading as well as images, documents, and other books on trench warfare with the goal of getting some detailed looks at how the trenches were constructed and their general layout.  This was part of my objective with my fall visit to the Canadian War Museum, especially their mock-up and diorama of a typical trenchline.

A couple of gems I found over the past few days was a big-picture map from Canadiansoldiers.com with a great overview of the offensive.  I also found a Canadian Corps level map that showed the regimental, brigade, and division boundaries of the units involved in the assault.  Finally, I found a great map from the Birth of a Regiment (website on the history of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry).

More to follow as the research progresses.


 
www.canadiansoldiers.com, overview of regimental locations and objectives 

www.cbc.ca, overview of unit objectives and axis of attacks

1:10,000 topo map of Vimy Ridge trenchline and unit boundaries...awesome find.



No comments: