Sunday 3 February 2019

Solo and the Fett Man...

Howdy folks,

Hopefully the new year has not been hitting you too hard...the weather certainly has been a mixed bag of rain, snow, freezing rain, snow pellets, and some really cool temperatures for some folks that are not entirely accustomed to it.  Currently, we're sitting in a somewhat typical winter with -10 to -25C with very cool windchill and I understand that some of our southern neighbors are really getting an Arctic boot to the crotch...

If you are one of the ones getting it in the pills from the cold blast, hopefully this post can help you think of warmer climates.

Before the end of last year, I was able to finish up two operators/commanders for Star Wars Legion...like a bad 80's buddy crime-drama, Solo and the Fett Man were in my final batch of 2018 painting.  For both of these warriors, I based them in the same theme as my previous sections...ala Tatt or some similarly arid deserty place...

https://nerdlydarkness.blogspot.com/2018/11/legion-of-stormtroopers.html
https://nerdlydarkness.blogspot.com/2018/10/bring-on-warsassault-and-legion.html
https://nerdlydarkness.blogspot.com/2018/06/star-warsyup-legion-pic-heavy.html


Of the two figures, my favourite of the two has to be the Fett Man...it is a fairly dynamic pose in mid flight with his jetpack firing.  With all of this great detail, it was a little daunting to get the colours correct.  Thanks to the google-net there are a bunch of images and inspiring pics to take a look at; the main challenge again will be to find a suitable colour/style that you like and go with that.  Also, thank to my main man Sorastro (https://sorastro.com/) I was able to double check and compare my work with his...
Now, giving proper credit...I would not have had the idea of doing any sort of glow or colour change on Boba Fett's cape from the flames of the jetpack if I hadn't watched it on Sorastro's video.  I really like how it came out in the end. 
In line with the quick punch and heat from the jetpack, I elected to have some scorch marks and blast points on the base. 
Looking at many of the pics online, there are a bunch of colour transitions on the armour with subtle changes between the chest piece and helmet. 
The pack colour was really neat and a challenge as I had to mix some existing colours to get what I wanted...I'm very happy with the results. 
As we are in an arid, desert like climate, I also wanted to have some weathering and 'dust' showing on the lower portion of his legs... 
 
While not as dynamic in my opinion, the Han Solo figure does a pretty good job portraying the character in a classic pose.  Although the pose is really representative from Return of the Jedi, I elected to base in the same theme as my overall force.
Unfortunately for these shots I was having some really challenging lighting issues...
As you can tell from my lack of comments, this figure was very straight forward to paint up. All that's left is to get his trusty sidekick I guess...
 
 
WHATS NEXT
 
1. for my next post, I will put up a mixed collection of game shots from the past 3 or 4 times out, but was unable to get posted at the time...and now, can't really remember a damn thing.
2. some pics of the first painted figs of the year, completed in January.
 
Take care folks.


 
 
 

2 comments: