Thursday 13 February 2020

1, 2, 3, 4..I love the Marine Corps

Howdy everyone,

I hope all is well with you and yours.  Over the Christmas holidays and leading into the new year I had a resurgence of 15mm painting.  Coming from success that I had in my summer games as well as what I'd seen in a few other Team Yankee battles with TOW launchers, ADATS, and anti-tank missiles I decided to boost my missile output for my 4 CMBG force.

As such, I took a look at possible options and elected to expand my force to include an allied support formation of a LAV-25 company with an AT support platoon.  At 18 points for 10 x Lav-25's with 4 x AT LAV's it is an excellent addition at a fairly good cost.  Not only do the AT launchers have the hammerhead turret which gives gone to ground even when firing, but the platoons have the recce skill and the LAV-25 bushmaster cannon has the anti-helicopter ability...so it gives a pretty solid short to medium range air defence capability.

All in all, a very good addition to the Brigade.

Battlefront already had plenty of painting guides for the US forces in Team Yankee...a little bit more google research gave me a bit more to work from.  The main colours that I used were Vallejo 924 Russian Uniform, Tan Earth, and Iraqi Sand.  After the base coats and camo pattern were painted down, I hit the vehicles with a mixed wash of Army Painter strong and dark tone, and then another heavily watered down camo coat of the VJ colours.

Anyway, bringing on the pics...

4 CMBG Allied Formation - USMC LAV Company


The headquarters element...to help differentiate the LAVs, I opted to paint up the left side of the turret near the gunners sight a separate colour for each combat platoon.  For the hq, in case I ever decide to collect another LAV company, I went with desert yellow band to show company and another desert yellow band for the command platoon...

The support element - anti-tank hunters...hammerhead TOW launchers...because these guys are pretty distinctive I didn't paint any designators on these vehicles.

The first combat platoon...the desert yellow stripe first, a black stripe is second to designate the platoon...

The second combat platoon - desert yellow stripe first, medium olive stripe second.

The force...

Hike up Lead Mountain, 2020

Painted:

28mm            -
15mm            19 (+17; 14 vehs, 3 crew)

Bought:         0 (these were bought mid last year)

Progress:     +19

2 comments:

Mike_A said...

Very nicely done.

I always thought they seemed like a fun unit as well.

Stan M. said...

Thanks Mike...I'm looking forward to giving them a run on the table.