Monday 13 September 2021

The Nam - Lurps Up

Howdy folks,
 
Hello last days of summer, here's to the coming Fall and all that fun. Today's post is just a quick one to show off some progress I made on a new/old project. Back some time ago, I was working on an Air Cavalry unit for Vietnam and Battlefront's The Nam. Admittedly I haven't painted any Nam figures let alone many 15mm in some time. So with Mike's recent push to have a Vietnam:Aces campaign I thought why the hell not...it was time to paint up some more.

The Aces campaign is a scale up mutli-round campaign where you can develop your infantry 'ace' as they gain more experience. Originally rolled out with Monte Cassino as the main battle, the Aces campaign also lets you select specific skills as your 'ace' develops. And concurrent to this, the size of your force similarly scales up...from 1-2 platoons, to company w/some support, to company and support options. In current game terms, this means the scale goes from about 20pts to 40 to 60...or even 80 I think...depending on the number of rounds you want to have I guess.
 
But I'll have to capture these thoughts in an aces dedicated post in the future. Anyhow, in prep for this, I already have my AirCav unit coming in around 20 points...so I'm good for the first round. But while I have plenty of chopper-goodness to add to the force, I wanted some actual boots to add...so I thought I'd start with some special forces troops. In this case, Battlefront does not distinguish between the options available to US Forces in Vietnam; depending on the theme of your force, they can be SEALs, Green Berets, Force Recon, or even Long Range Recon Patrols (LRRPs..lurps).

In tiger stripes and boonie hats, I thought I would field a 6 team Lurp team...with free upgrade for 2 of these teams from an M16 team to a M60 team. I don't think I had tried tiger stripe before, and like I said it had been some time since I painted 15mm...other than random crewmembers for vehicles, the last 'real' 15mm troops I painted was my 4CMBG mech infantry.

Anyway, they painted up ALOT quicker than my recent Marvel Crisis Protocol figures, go figure that...and it was fun to get back to the scale that got me into this hobby. Oh, and if you’re wondering where the figures come from or have guessed already…Yes, I used Battlefronts Aussie infantry for this unit so I could get the boonie hats.

Enjoy the pics.

 
Same troops, just a little natural light added as we head outside for a shot of clearcoat.

Lead Mountain 2021
Painted:
 
Large scale             3
28mm                    23
15mm                  +12

Bought                  24

Progress               +14

No comments: