Friday 21 January 2022

Ladies Night - Marvel Crisis Protocol Gamora & Nebula

Howdy folks,

I hope all is well on your side. Apparently the North Pole got my request for some snow...we got a dump of almost 50cm the other day...or...almost 2 feet and then another few inches a day or so later. Very cool, nice thing is that the bulk of it was rather light and powdery, so no shoveling heart attacks!

As the title says, this one is about the ladies, and in this case we're talking the Gamora and Nebula pack from MCP. The sculpts are very dynamic and action oriented...and while I am not familiar with their comic book origins, being a big fan of the marvel movies, I thought the poses fit my movie expectations. As for painting them up, like the marvel figures I've painted to date, I wanted to go for a brighter, 'poppier' and comic book look and feel.

Now anyone who has been reading my posts will know, I am a pretty big fan of Sorastro and his style and approach to painting figs. Thankfully from watching him work I have been able to add a few techniques to the painting toolbox over the past few years. With no dedicated guides to go by, the paint scheme was really up to me on this...sure, there is some box art to go by...and the character cards themselves also help provide that comic book look and feel. But I am happy to say I was a little more confident approaching these models...and if I'm totally honest, it was Nebula that presented the biggest challenge.
 
Gamora was pretty straight forward, the box art was close to the comic book references that I found...white and black body suit, red/orange colour bands on them, metallic looking sword. Fairly straight forward and really happy with the results.
 
Nebula took some hard time to consider...the character card was great for scaling out her clothes and form, but the model has her leaping off a booster, rocket, or some motor type thing. Taking to the google, I saw that there was a consistent approach of hitting this 'rocket' with a straight metallic or single colour and adding some rusting/weathering. Given the dynamic model, the look and feel I was going for, I thought this rocket needed more.
 
Looking at the end of it, it reminded me of a inlet turbine so I did take a look at various rockets and engine for overall metallic colours.At th end, I took the chance to try out my shading techniques and try my hand at some non-metal techniques as well. Again, very happy with the result.

Take care...enjoy the pics.

The Ladies...daughters of Thanos

Lady Gamora

the warrior Nebula...very happy with how she turned out. The colours were a lot of fun to mix and paint up. The nmm was a challenge and t really happy with how I was able to get the shading/highlights that I was looking for...
2022 Lead Mountain Climb

Painted

15mm               8
28mm+             6, +2 (Gamora and Nebula)
 
Bought              0
 
Progress          +14

No comments: