Saturday 30 April 2022

What kind of place is this Afropia?

Howdy folks,

I hope you are all well and good…a quick thought popped into my mind after my last post; I have mentioned Afropia in a few posts now and I guess at some point I have to give a little more thought and definition to this Imagi-nation. Initially my thought was to have only a single country as the primary setting, but quickly I realized this needed to expand to include at least one potential rival/belligerent…and then this quickly expanded to considering some additional options.

So, I now have the Afropian region to ponder.

At this point I have an idea on countries, some initial concepts on their political leanings, sponsor state in a case or two, and general geography. In total, the region is composed of 6 countries…1 country in the ‘centre’ with 4 others surrounding it with some degree of shared border + one island nation (blame Farcry 6 for this latest addition).

Petoriastan - thank you Family Guy, lol…although I don’t think it is a dictator state. Mountains to the north, plains/prairie-like region in the centre, plains and grasslands to the south. No solid thoughts on sponsor, but some colonial history…maybe British…

Mikaroon - to the north and east of Petoriastan…hills in the northern and western region, plains in the central and eastern, with coastline as its south border. My initial thoughts are former French/European colonial…

Federation of Alarus - shares the northwester border of Petoriastan. Federation had a nice sound to it, Marxist-Leninist for its politics; as such seems a classic Soviet satellite inspired state. Mountains and hills in its east and south-east region…hills pretty much everywhere else.

West Chartoria - again thank you Family Guy and my wife (who is worthy of her own nation-state) for the name inspiration. It falls on the western border of Petoriastan and that border also extends to share the western border of Aponwana. Hills in the north, mountains/hills in the west, shared savannah in the south east with both Petoriastan and Aponwana. Right now I’m thinking a more modern day take on South Africa, perhaps some former British colonialism history as well.

Aponwana - fully along the southern border of Petoriastan with their western border shared with West Chartoria. Savannah and grasslands throughout, I am picturing this as being more in line with a classic failed state vibe…former Soviet protectorate or something to that effect.

And finally, Yara or Tropico or something…not sure on the name yet, but heavily inspired by Caribbean or Latin America setting. Regardless, it is an island nation, to the east of Petoriastan or Aponwana.

That is where things stand at the moment. Next steps will be to review/focus the geopolitics of the countries…get them a flag, something to identify with.

Take care. Until next time…

No comments: