Friday 31 December 2021

Leaving 2021 Behind...in style?

Hey folks,
 
As I see the end of the year looming closer and closer, I also wanted to get ahead of any end-year/new year malaise and make my final post for 2021.

2021...Oh what a year. A few parts of brilliance, a few more of WTF, with heavy splashes of m'eh and whatever...at the end of the day, this year too will end. I will give brief acknowledgement to Covid as it definitely fits into each part of the year. And has a share in the very mild woe's (certainly in relation to the bigger picture) that plague my hobby progress

To be honest, working from home has been quite brilliant. That too has brought a few WTF and are you kidding me moments. And I have to admit, my painting has gone through the range of brilliance and m'eh. My output is definitely not shattering records...although I am happy to be in the triple digits (largely in part to my return to 15mm). I am really happy with how my Marvel figures are turning out, admittedly they do give my OCD a run for its money and some of them have taken a crazy amount of time to finish, but the figures really are great.

If I had to capture the years most brilliant painting moments it would have to be the competitions that I was able to enter in...and was quite successful! So, yeah me...and it also brought some considerable WTF moments as this venture took a large amount of my overall painting time, and some of my biggest f$#k ups...dropping and breaking one large scale sculpture at the 50% completion point, and giving a 3d printed Mandalorian a prep wash - and then forgetting about it to the point where the bust...well, busted out. So some success and some hard lessons.

My quick thought for looming projects brings me to more Team Yankee, the Nam, and things 15mm: perhaps an inspired region of the world of my own design and historiography so I can move away from set army lists and just get some figures on the table (maybe using FoF or maybe AK47 rules). As well, given the success of our recent Star Wars Legion game, I am thinking scenarios and more games are needed...so I'm looking forward to that. In terms of other painting and terrain goals...I may have to give the new Sanctum Sanctorum model a shot; some 28mm-ish terrain ala Blade Runner keeps popping around in my head; and of course terrain to support my fantasia planning and our The Nam Ace campaign.

So, lots to think about.

Anyhow, I hope the next year finds you safe, healthy, and better than the last. And of course, with the though of leaving in style, please see some pics of my recent scatter terrain painting thanks to Modiphius Fallout Wasteland Warfare and some 3d printed pieces from my buddy Duncan...these pieces turned out great and will work for a wide variety of settings!

TAKE CARE...and Happy New Year.
 
Some 3d printed pieces...the fridge and toolbox are from Modiphius's Fallout sampler (it is free!!!). The cargo boxes come from Legion Terrain from their scatter bundle.

The fridge was a great exercise in painted heavily weathered white...it came up very quick and was actually quite enjoyable.

These barriers are physical models from Modiphius. These ones also came up quite quickly and I enjoyed working out a rusting/weather technique for them.



Lead Mountain 2021 FINAL TALLY
Painted:
 
Large scale              3
28mm                     35, +10
15mm                   102

Bought                  30, +6 (the barriers were bought this summer from a LGS)

Progress               +110 (just over the 3 digit mark, but I'll take it)


No comments: