Thursday 16 April 2020

Painting Update - Scavengers and Reavers

Hey folks,

I hope that all is well with you and yours. Up at this end of the world we are doing our best with self-isolation and quarantine, I know this is affecting many and I hope you are finding the time to connect (figuratively or virtually) with family and friends. I see many are taking this time to get through their respective lead mountains, etc...good luck with that and good job/luck on your progress.

Now, just prior to this, I had committed to running a miniatures game for this years upcoming CanGames in May. Now, unfortunately due to the COVID situation that is affecting many of us, there will not be a CanGames this year.  I was holding out hope that we could have something...it was just not meant to be...and of course, if this is the extent of the negative impact on me by COVID, then life is not too bad off.

My idea for CanGames was to run a Zona Alfa game...I really liked the backstory of the ruleset and I do have a bunch of figures lying around needing to be painted...and, an excuse to make extra terrain is never a bad thing either. Some future posts on the terrain side to follow...

So with that in mind, I thought I would break out some 40K Scavenger figures and fill their ranks out with some NorthStar Miniatures that I had originally earmarked for Rogue Stars as a Reaver Crew (ala Firefly and Serenity).  I gotta say, I really like how they turned out...and the North Star figures were originally Frostgrave Cultists, but were mod'ed up with one of North Star's plastic conversion sprues.

As for Zona Alfa, I thought these figures would work well as inhabitants in the 'exclusion zone'...and the figures have a great amount of character to them.

Enjoy the pics... 

These are the North Star Frostgrave Cultist box...


I used the zombie arm that came with the Cultist box and took a weapon and head from the plastic conversion...I know the arms don't 'match'...but I was really going for that fallout/radioactive/wasteland look.  I like how it turned out and it really fits well together.



Warhammer 40K, Scavenger box...a real pleasure to paint up...these should totally fit in with Zone Alfa and the wasteland feel...could work for multiple gaming systems/settings...

 


Hike up Lead Mountain, 2020

Painted:

28mm            11 (+11, 5 x 40k, 6 x NorthStar)
15mm            22

Bought:         0 (these were bought mid last year)

Progress:     +33

2 comments:

Mike_A said...

Bert nice indeed. Well perhaps apocalypse stuff is a bit on the nose hah.

FYI, I mentioned to Duncan that we should have our own mini-con day and run some of the games that were planned for cangames, like this and their Robin Hood game. So hopefully we can set something up post-apocalypse. Hah.

P.S. kinda sad no one built a real life thunderdome yet

Stan M. said...

Thanks Mike...on the nose? Maybe...lol. A mini-con sounds cool...maybe by then there could be a thunderdome...