Friday 2 December 2022

RED DAWN!! North??

Hey folks,

I hope all is well on your respective side...and I really hope that someone out there is actually getting some winter weather to enjoy. Yes, we are bouncing around 0 Celsius plus or minus 5-8 degree, but I sure do miss my -5 to -10 and snow...we had a buttload of rain the other night, but I could do with some snow.

Anyhow, as the title says...Red Dawn, baby! And not that 2012 version, we're talking the full-on commie hating, pre-dirty dancing, fairly anti-war, Powers Boothe swearing 1984 masterpiece...and the folks over at Battlefront are bringing the pain via their latest book...aptly titled Red Dawn.

-- taken from Battlefronts Team Yankee site --

I have been looking forward to this for some time now, I think it was announced in the last 2 years and well with Covid running amok with BF's manufacturing there have been some understandable delays. The best part is that there has been a bunch of videos popping up on YouTube giving out some intel and details leading up to the release date. So to help prep myself, I took a look at these channels as their links were posted on the Team Yankee site:


The different reviews were interesting to take in, they each took their time to showcase some of the new kits, and for the Breakthrough Assault crew, they had the chance to livestream a chat session with the Battlefront team. My favourite parts from each of these videos is always the chance to see what new kits are coming, but I have to say, the maps!! I've always enjoyed maps, love the view, love the info...and in this case, was a great way to prime me even further. Afterall, the 2 prong attack into North America involves taking a right turn at Canada...so yeah, lets bring on the NORTHERN DAWN...or maybe ARCTIC DAWN?? Either way you slice it, it looks promising and being a product of the 80s, it has a nostalgia feel along with being in my literal backyard.

The Northern Front - just over 2 weeks to get from Prince Rupert to Southern Alberta…with stops in Kitimat,Prince George, Jasper, and Red Deer (not Red Deep as the map says) before swinging hard south into Montana along a Medicine Hat/Suffield and Swift Current front. I think I’m going to have to look up the weather records from that time just out of curiosity to see what was hitting the West. As I recall, not a lot of snow that year, but some really cool temps…so yeah, for s’s and g’s, I’ll have to do the research.

— thanks Miniature Landscape Hobbies, screenshots are from his video —

It was really great, because the Breakthrough Assault folks made a point of showing this on their blog post following the live stream…it really opens up some possibilities for some Cougars an Grizzlies…oh my…maybe a 1Canadian Brigade Group counter or blunting attack…with some southern support…and of course some Norther Wolverines…or Badgers…Buffalo maybe?


The Southern axis of the attack…bring on the Cuban advisors…

So yeah, maybe we’ll see some Cougars and Grizzlies in our future...the book has rules for airdrop along with new Chinook models, so maybe some Canadian Airborne Regiment/ Special Service Force and Chinook deployments...the Canadian Air Force still had their Chinooks at this time (before we sold them to the Dutch in the 90's only to buy more in the 2000's) not to mention the HQ for the SSF was in Edmonton with 1 CBM being headquartered in Calgary. So lots of potential here and I’m really looking forward to it.

I think in the near future I’ll have to get some weather research done and maybe take a look at where the Canadian military was in 1985…and I guess have some thought as to where they would be concurrent to supporting ops in Europe. So much to compulse over.

Anywho, this is where my head is at these days…looking forward to getting back to Team Yankee…and with that…



2 comments:

tim said...

Well, since the Wolverines were names after their high school football team, googling "Alberta High School Team names" would probably be the place to start...

Cougars seems to be the most common.

Also Cobras...?

And Coyotes and Cowboys, Mustangs and Marauders...

Stan M. said...

Hey Tim, thanks for the ideas…lmao, I totally forgot that our school team was actually Cobras, hah! Gotta say, Mustangs definitely would’ve worked. Thanks! Take care.