Monday 28 December 2020

The 6th Post Over Christmas

For my sixth post over Christmas,

Springing to action for you,
6 comic book heroes (and/or villains)...

...from the Night’s Watch starter set...

2 figures from Studio Miniatures; and
1 from HassleFree.

Hello folks,

I hope your day has gone well. Some may recall, earlier this year...around mid-isolation, I decided to try my hand at a few Marvel Crisis Protocol figures, the Hulk and Starlord, as a tester to see how they painted up and if I could do them some justice. Inspired by how Hulk and Peter Quill came out, I decided to pick up the core box.

Now I gotta say, I struggle with spending more than $100 on any box, but I get it...costs go up, etc, etc...From what I’ve seen recently I think the hobby agrees and I’ve seen some starter kits come up that do hit the $100 mark, but have a lot to them.

The MCP is certainly one of those that packs a lot into it. You get 10 characters...an even-ish split between heroes and villains along with a good amount of terrain. I recently saw terrain expansions that have similar amounts as the core box and cost $50-65, considering the character expansions are about $13+ per figure, the core box gets better and better.

The only con I have with this box, is that when compared to the expansions, the production values are not the same. The assembly is much more finicky and the components don’t all fit together well...now I would suggest: patience, test with dry fits, and do a good recently and check out some videos online (I suggest Sorastro’s YouTube).

As far as painting, these figures are really testing my skill and technique...I’m trying to go a little brighter with the overall tones and effects. Really trying to capture the comic book nature of them all. I gotta say, compared to my historical painting, I’m really enjoying this style.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the pics...some of my best attempts...and feel free to hit me with any questions or comments...

Cheers.

The Hulk with the heroes around him, Cap, Black Widow, Ironman, and Spider-Man. With Spider-Man and Captain America I had to fill in some gaps with green stuff. And I found Ironman’s legs to be a little tough.

Spider-Man, a very fun mini to paint...had a good go at the different shades of red and blue...a great way to show some definition with the figure.

Black Widow and Captain America...

Ironman...probably one of the most challenging figure I’ve tried to paint...and I think one of my best/favourite pictures I’ve taken.

Hike up Lead Mountain 2020
 
Painted:

28mm               81 (+6)
15mm               135

Bought:            24 (+19, MCP core box)

Progress:          +192

No comments: